“Dye Test” and Leaky Toilets in Harrisburg, PA
Some people think that leaking faucets waste the most water; however, leaky toilets are actually the biggest culprit. The scary part is your toilet could be leaking without showing any signs. Silent leaks will waste upwards of 30-500 gallons of water every day. This could equal hundreds or thousands of dollars, depending on how long the leak remains undetected.
Silent Leak Detection and the “Dye Test”
- Silent leaks can be the most expensive because, well, they’re silent. The best way to test for a silent leak is using the dye test.
- Start with a clean water tank and toilet bowl. The water in both should be completely clear, and all cleaning products or tablets should be removed.
- Add instant coffee, food dye, or drink mix that has a deep color to the water tank on the back of the toilet.
- Make sure no one uses or flushes the toilet for 15-30 minutes.
- Return to the bathroom and look at the toilet bowl. If the water in the toilet bowl has changed colors, you have a silent leak and should contact the licensed plumbers at David LeRoy.
Obvious Signs of a Toilet Leak
If you experience any of the following things, you should contact a technician at David LeRoy Plumbing. They are equipped with the latest training and technology to detect and repair all kinds of leaks.
- Phantom Flushing: It seems like you have a ghost because your toilet fills itself or flushes even when no one is in the room.
- Jiggling the handle is the only way to get the water to turn off after flushing.
- When trying to flush, you have to hold the handle down in order to empty the toilet bowl.
- This could also be a sign that the chain for your flapper is too long. You should easily be able to adjust this yourself, but it may take a few tries to get the length just right.
In any event, David LeRoy has the tools and expertise to repair and replace the fixtures in your home. The experts at David Leroy Plumbing, Heating and Cooling can size up any job and give you the information and options you need. And with free estimates, flat rate pricing, guarantees on our labor and products, 24/7 emergency service, and screened employees, you are guaranteed to have a good experience with our company. We are here to make your life easier and 100% customer satisfaction is what we strive for. For testimonials, money saving tips, and coupons visit us on the web. And feel free to call us 717-963-2034 when problems arise or with any questions or concerns. David Leroy plumbing, heating and cooling is ready to help you, anytime, anywhere!